Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Editing - always on my mind

Last night my friend read me an article from a website that promotes certain social issues. As I listened, I noticed there was a lot of, well, emotions in the article.

I also noticed that it was biased, but passed off as a news story and not an opinion piece.

As he read, I heard how little the author mentioned sources for his or her information. Although I agreed with the broad point of the article, I just couldn't take it seriously. I mentioned it to my friend, and the cursed myself for being such a journalist.

I took down the information from the article, such as a mayor's name who was involved, and searched the internet for police reports and other information that would be on record if the story was true. I couldn't find anything about that mayor. I was right to be skeptical.

Editing is always on my mind.

No comments: