Photo 1: No. I do not see the point of running this photo at all. What kind of story could possibly benefit from a photo of a dead dog? I think the only reason to even consider running this photo is if it were local, but I still think that printing the photo of a dead pet is excessive. There are other, better ways to tell the story of animals being hit by cars.
Photo 2: Absolutely not. This is a clear invasion of privacy. The family is in a rather private moment of grief, and the lifeless body of a boy should under no circumstances be printed. As to its locality, I would not run a photo of a dead child whether it was from my hometown or Timbuktu.
Photo 3: No. Maybe a photo of Bud reaching for the gun ... maybe. But this photo isn't even good quality and composition. It is against all of my ethical judgment to publish a photo of a man in his most desperate moment of suicide.
Photo 4: No. The photo is far too graphic. I cannot help thinking of this man's family opening the news daily and seeing this photo. Perhaps I would consider running a photo like this if the victim was someone in the public arena, but not a private citizen.
Photo 5: No. The story of this boy surviving such an accident is interesting, but I would not publish a photo that makes me physically recoil at first sight. I would refuse to run it especially if it was local, out of respect for the boy's privacy.
Photo 6: No. The idea of printing a photo of a crime - which is what it illustrates - is unsavory. I do believe that it is newsworthy and deserves some art accompanying it, but if the woman refused to expose herself in the first place, she probably would not appreciate being exposed to the readers of a publication.
I obviously find publishing photos of death distasteful. I believe a person's death is his most personal moment, and should not be released to any kind of audience. The only photo I actually would consider for publication was the photo of the boy and the fence, and only because he survived against odds that were not in his favor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
No photos of dead people, ever?
That's a clear standard. I wonder if you'd ever violate it? On an older topic, now that you've experienced multimedia that you appreciate, how about trying some in your next post?
No photos of dead people, ever?
That's a clear standard. I wonder if you'd ever violate it? On an older topic, now that you've experienced multimedia that you appreciate, how about trying some in your next post?
Post a Comment