Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Texting
I am a little embarrassed to do this, but I admit I have a cell phone with a full keyboard. When I text people with the ease of using both thumbs, I often go way over the 160 character limit. I don't really understand the abbreviations people use in texts, so I type out full words and phrases. And I edit my messages. I strive to make my messages tighter so that I can fit everything I need to say into such a small space limit. It takes me at least three re-reads to get it right.
Editing has been slowly flowing into my everyday life. I think I may be the only person in the world who revises my texts. Sending a message to my friend is no small effort. It takes me a lot of time and consideration. Hopefully, I'm communicating well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Haha. I'm the same way. I only have a regular keyboard, though, so it still takes me a while to write a text message. Until recently, I had to pay for my texts, so I've always been concise. It's great practice for headline writing.
Embarrassing to say, but I am actually the complete opposite. I just have a regular phone (no keyboard), so I use the t9 option that makes it easier to text faster because the most common words come up on their own as I type the letters. Somtimes though, I do not want the most common word but forget to look down as I am typing and realize I sent a message full of random words that make no sense together. Let me also say, sometimes I get too lazy to even change them, and just suspect that my friends will just guess what I am trying to say. Completely un-editor-like and completely lazy. My friends get back at me though - they frequently refuse to respond unless I type the message correctly.
I have a phone with a full keyboard, too, and to be honest, it drives me crazy when my friends do NOT edit their texts! I am a huge advocate on spelling out "you" and "are," and I don't understand what is so hard about punctuating a text!
omg! u r dow jones material!
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't text often--I pay an insane amount for every text I send and receive. But when I do text, I can never bring myself to abbreviate. It drives me crazy. And I always, always edit. If I'm paying, I want to be understood.
While I am not at the point of seriously editing my text messages, I do find that I pay more attention to them now. It's amazing, and slightly annoying, how editing is taking over my life.
Post a Comment