Monday, December 1, 2008

Journalsim takes over my life Part 3

My primary method of organization is the post-it note. I have them stuck all over my notebooks, my coffee table, my computer, my walls, my sofa - everything. I'm constantly writing notes to myself. I've been told it's a little like A Beautiful Mind. I just hope I don't have multiple personalities like that guy. But I digress.

Last night, as I was writing down a topic I wanted to remember to discuss with my friend, I noticed that it was in a style quite familiar to me. It was a headline, with subhead.

After considering, yet again, how journalism has crept into every aspect of my life, I made peace with my new, irrevocable journalistic nature. Writing these notes in active voice as headlines is really the most effective way to communicate with myself. I can read them quickly and understand the point behind the thought I jotted down.

So all right, journalism, you win. I now possess habits that turn out to be pretty helpful, however insane they may seem.

3 comments:

@jefollis said...

Student makes instructor snicker

Elyse said...

Ha that is hysterical because I have post its all over my desk and lap top too, basically in code (words together that only I probably get). They definitely would not work as newspaper headlines unless you knew the inner workings of my brain, but it is really funny how I know how to get the point across in the shortest way possible. Such a sign of a journalist. Cut out words, cut out irrelevance, always be concise. I can fit a whole lot more on my post its because of it. And I am saving trees. Woo.

Sue Kantor said...

I've noticed that journalism has crept in to my writing habits in other classes. The one I thought of right away was instead of writing '&' in my notes, I replace it with a simpler comma. It's actually quite useful.